Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Yield: 6 cups
- 6 small tomatoes (or 3 huge ones)
- 1 packed cup of soaked sun dried tomatoes (save the soak water)
- 1 cup of cashews (no need to soak them, but you can for 1hr)
- 1 Shallot or green onion, rough chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 large carrot, rough chopped
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 Tablespoons dried Basil (or 6-8 leaves fresh)
- 1/2 - 1 cup water (use what you have from the sun dried tomatoes soaking)
- 2 tsp of Salt
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
Place everything in an high-speed blender (Vitamix or similar) and blend until smooth.
Almond Milk works beautifully in this recipe in place of the cashews. If you'd like to try; replace the cup of cashews with a cup of almond cream (Remember creams are made with a 1:1 ratio of nuts to water). Blend almonds and water, strain through your More than a NUT MILK BAG and add just enough cream to adjust the soup consistency to your liking.
Your soup stores nicely in a glass container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
To keep it 'raw' so those nutrients, antioxidants, phytochemicals and enzymes remain active, serve it at room temperature or use a cooking thermometer and warm it up to 120° (your finger works nicely too). Ummm Ummm gooood.