Kale Cole Slaw
Thank you to Living Light Culinary Arts Institute for this recipe.
Yield: 3 cups (2-3 servings)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon flax oil
- 1 Tablespoon light miso
- 1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 Tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/2 bunch Kale, de-stemmed (about 1 cup packed) and cut into thin ribbons (chiffonade)
- 1/8 head cabbage, shredded (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 red jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (or substitute a dash of cayenne pepper)
- 2 Tablespoons red onion, finely julienned
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan crystal salt
- 1 Tablespoon oil-packed capers (optional)
Combine dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
In a large bowl, massage kale well for a couple of minutes to soften. Add the cabbage, tomato, jalapeño (or cayenne) and red onion. Pour the dressing over the mixture, toss and season with salt to taste. Garnish with capers and serve.
Kale Cole Slaw is best served immediately but can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.