Tabbouleh is another Middle Eastern dish I have always enjoyed but lately as I stay away from too many grains and gluten the main ingredient, bulgur, hasn't worked for me. Adding quinoa, my favorite grain replacement (it is actually a seed), in place of bulgur is a great tasty alternative. You might consider doubling the recipe and have some around for snacking later.
Yield: approximately 3 cups
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes or 2-3 medium fresh tomatoes, diced
- 3 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds (for garnish)
- Optional: 1/4 - 1/2 cup mint, minced
Cook quinoa in water as directed. Fluff and transfer to a medium size bowl. Allow to cool. Add remaining ingredients and toss gently until well combined.
Sprinkle pumpkin or sunflower seeds on top and serve at room temperature.
Will store in sealed glass container in the refrigerator for up to one week.